Temperature fluctuations and weather changes can cause certain health issues in your body. As some studies have found many people who are suffering from rheumatic problems tend to experience more pain as the weather changes.
Among all rheumatic conditions, fibromyalgia is the most popular muscular issue faced by many which is triggered largely with changing temperature.
However, this condition is seen to be elevated when the temperature rises or drops down heavily and according to reports put forward by scientists, patients suffering from fibromyalgia face severe pain during extreme summers as well as intense winters.
With the fluctuation in temperature outside, your body too feels different temperature level which is generally called temperature sensitivity of your body.
Such painful experience has led people to move in other parts of the country where the temperature remains moderate. Thus, Fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity makes your body go through a worrisome experience.
What is Fibromyalgia?
First of all I must tell you what fibromyalgia is. It is counted as the second most popular musculoskeletal condition, first being osteoarthritis.
It is marked by muscle and joint pain, fatigue and some more symptoms. It also sometimes leads to problems of anxiety and depression leading to social isolation.
You may experience a high sensitivity at certain body parts as they become too much tender. All this pushes you in the state of sleep deprivation and restlessness.
How does Fibromyalgia Disturb Body Temperature?
The temperature of body is regulated by hypothalamus, section of brain that ensures the production of hormone. This part of the brain is taken into consideration as a link between the nervous system and the endocrine system.
Hypothalamus not just performs the function of controlling and maintaining body temperature but also keeps hold of other body functions like energy levels, sleep cycle, muscular function, the gut, blood circulation and also it provides defense against infection.
However, in fibromyalgia this balance in hypothalamus pituitary adrenal axis which controls hormone levels gets disturbed and as a result body temperature too becomes imbalanced.
How do Fibromyalgia and Temperature Sensitivity Cause Pain?
Fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity are two common terms in the list of health issues. In fibromyalgia we often observe three kinds of temperature sensitivity, first in which patients are heat sensitive, second where patients are prone to cold sensitivity and the third where people feel sensitive to both heat and cold.
First of all let us talk about fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity caused by heat where people get an all-over heat sensation in the body that is thought to come from within the body itself.
These heat sensations are commonly termed as hot flashes. Excessive sweating, puffiness and ache in hands and feet are some other pain causing results of Fibromyalgia with heat sensitivity.
This situation is intensified with increase in the temperature around as then the patients have deal with excessive heat coming from the body as well as from the atmosphere. This sometimes results in heat stroke and heat rashes that are serious concerns.
Whereas people with cold sensitivity generally feel cold chills reaching to the bones and find it difficult warming themselves up.
This chillness could be experienced throughout the body or just restricted to your hands and feet. This condition is often heightened in the cold weather leading to color changes in skin due to coldness.
However, there are some people who experience fluctuations between being hot and cold. Such people who are sensitive to both heat and cold can be seen sweating with hot flashes at one moment while freezing in the next.
Fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity to both heat and cold can be very challenging and makes the disease even worse.
What are the Possible Measures to be Taken in the case of Fibromyalgia and Temperature Sensitivity?
Fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity as we have already noticed is a painful situation but it can be controlled to some extent if we follow certain measures and take some safety oriented steps.
However, these cautions are different with different type of conditions as we know that fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity in patients can be of three types therefore measures taken to rectify or at least control fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity are also taken accordingly.
To avoid facing constant heat flashes you should take following cautions:
– You must try to keep yourself cool by maintain a cool atmosphere around yourself.
– The type of cloth you wear is also an important factor in this direction and therefore you should make a proper choice of your clothes.
You should go for loose clothes that are also lightweight so that they don’t stick to your body causing sweat to produce.
Also you must choose light colors to wear and they keep you cool than dark colored that are heat absorbers.
– You should keep yourself hydrated all the time and therefore you must drink plenty of cold water to avoid worse conditions.
– You should go for cool showers or sometimes simply soak your feet in cold water so that it lowers down your body temperature and saves it from getting warm.
– You should also keep cooling products like cold pack or fan with you even while you are travelling.
To be safe from fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity problems caused by cold you should do the following:
- You should try to keep your surroundings warm with room heaters and other possible options.
- You should not avoid dressing well, particularly in cold weather. You should also pay more attention to keeping your feet covered by wearing socks and slippers.
- You should increase the intake of hot food items, liquids and other food stuffs.
- You should go for warm baths.
- When you go for outings you must carry your blankets and heating pads so as to avoid adverse conditions.
Fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity issues that involve threat from both heat and cold, you should take the following mentioned measures:
- You should be well prepared for both the situations and therefore, it is better either to dress up in layers or make extra layers available to you.
- You should also go for temperature regulating sheets while sleeping in order to avoid uneasy outcomes from fibromyalgia and temperature sensitivity.